Sunday, February 19, 2012

FLYING HIGH

In this age of elaborate computer gizmos, I was surprised yesterday when the kids next door came dashing over to Casa de la Flaming Bore with their latest toy--a paper airplane their daddy had made for them. You'd have thought Disneyland had crash landed in their backyard!

After they tossed it around in our living room, it was obvious that just ONE paper airplace wouldn't do, so Big Bore whipped up a second one. Then the kids got out my Magic Markers and jazzed them up with flames and teeth and bullets. These were pretty much the most bad-ass paper airplanes in existence before all was said and done.

Then it was time for the big flight competition out in our front yard to see whose paper plane would travel farthest, rise highest, and make the most loop-de-loops. My nagging back demanded that I watch the air show from the front porch lest I break down on the runway, but I did get my own paper plane (above) to color and put on display. Launch date pending.

The kids had a blast blasting off with their homemade toys. Cost-zero dollars, but a million bucks on the fun-o-meter. I suspect their good ol' mom and dad wish it was always this easy to keep them entertained.

No comments: