Monday, March 12, 2012

DIRECT ME

In my ongoing, hopeless quest to be hip, with it, and well-informed, I kept the TV channel on "The Today Show" this morning to see a new mop-top British boy band that is sweeping the States--One Direction. Or is it New Direction? Or One Dimension? I keep getting it confused. But anyway, 1D--as we loyal fans call them--sang three songs to a herd of screaming girls on the streets of New York City, and to Big Bore and me in our living room.

"What's with the hair?" Big Bore asked.

"Those are modified Beiber-do's," I said in reference to aging teen sensation Justin Beiber, who recently turned 18 and will soon be eligible for Social Security.

The five Brits in 1D are discoveries of music producer Simon Cowell. He came across the guys as individual contestants on England's version of "The X Factor" and had the genius idea to throw them together into a boy band. In other words, taken individually none of them have a strong enough voice to be a solo act. They are young and cute and their voices aren't too pitchy, though, so they are perfect to make Simon a few more billion dollars.

This was their first big appearance in the US, although the boys have been together for about 18 months--apparently not long enough to add any choreography to their music, as they just sort of milled around the stage. But give them time and a few good moves and maybe they'll be another Back Street Boys or 'N Sync. I wish them luck and hope they will forever enjoy gaggles of screaming girls pawing all over them.

My generation had its Beatles. I think I can tolerate another British invasion.

No comments: