Tuesday, March 6, 2012

GETTING TO THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM

What better way is there to spend a sunny day than sitting in a dentist's chair for three hours getting a root canal?! Oh, joy!

"Does a root canal really take three hours to accomplish?" you may ask. Well, The Flaming Bore always has to make things complicated. It took a good hour just for the dentist, bless his meticulous heart, to remove the cap that had been on the tooth in question for the past 30 years or so. Anyway, a good time was had by all--mainly because Big Bore and I got to celebrate the completion of my canal by driving 15 miles up the road from the dentist's office to loiter around Arnold's Greenhouse!

Arnold's is sort of a mega gardening spot in the middle of nowhere. We usually hit it up a few times a year. This time around we bought two virbinum shrubs, a larger-than-life rain gauge, some chemicals of various types, and (ugh) four little brussel sprout starter plants. Long ago I once made the bad decision to try growing them. I learned that they are not like many veggies that ripen throughout the summer. No, no. They wait until fall, pop out all at once, and you end up with HUNDREDS of them. I got so sick of those nasty mini cabbages that I have since sworn them off my food list.

But Big Bore thinks he just HAS to have brussel sprouts, so he ended up buying EIGHT plants--in spite of all my protesting and warnings. "You are going to regret you ever grew them. I promise." But do you think he would listen to my advice? Of course not!

I seriously think I'd rather have another root canal than even look at another brussel sprout.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

brussel sprouts are wonderful tossed with olive oil and roasted at 425* till the edges are brown, then a sprinkle of sea salt. the roasting makes them sweeter. they are high in antioxidants, good for you!

Nancy Evans said...

Leave it up to my favorite doctor to make me feel guilty about despising a certain veggie.