Friday, May 29, 2009

CHILD'S PLAY


“Let’s play hide ‘n seek, Aunt Nancy!!”

That was my great niece Maddie’s suggestion when I stopped by her house yesterday afternoon. It had been spitting rain all morning, so I told her it was too wet to go outside, but that excuse didn’t dampen her enthusiasm.

“We can play hide ‘n seek inside the house!!” she smiled.

Her good ol’ mom didn’t object, so I began to count to 20 and Maddie and her little brother Boomer dashed off into the family room to scope out a hiding spot. Each round ended pretty much the same. Either Maddie’s giggles gave her away, or Boomer would be pointing to where she was “hiding.”

We tried reversing the role, but there weren’t too many places in the room for my wild Hawaiian print shirt to stuff itself. Behind the curtains? Quick find. Lying on the sofa with pillows over my body? Easy.

“You have to cover all the way up, Aunt Nancy, so I can’t see any of your clothes,” Maddie insisted.

Hmmm. The third time out, I slid under the big floor rug, nothing showing.

“Here I come!” Maddie shouted, ran into the family room, and immediately started laughing and pulling the rug off me.

“I covered up this time! How’d you find me so fast?” I asked.

“You’re a big lump!!”

You can say that again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lmao!!

Kids are great. K just learned how to play that game. She goes and hides, then pops out and says find me find me, then goes back to hiding. Or, she counts to 4 then runs to fid people and of course she does, becanuse they haven't had time to hide yet. lol

Have a good weekend!

Sarah said...

Oh how funny! Under the rug..you are a good sport.