Monday, May 11, 2009

'TIS THE SEASON

A TV commercial caught my eyes and ears over the weekend--Seasonique, the birth control pill that cuts down menstrual periods to just four times a year. One for each season, thus the overly cutesy name. Instead of using the phrase, “It’s my time of the month,” gals going with the flow can say, “It’s my time of the year.”

Now, we all know that I have long “outgrown” the need for birth control pills; heck, I’ve been menopausal (aka: the parting of the Red Sea) and loving it for over a decade, but the idea of reducing the number of one’s periods still intrigues me. I bet the folks at Kotex and Tampax are screaming bloody murder over this new pill since it has the potential to cut their sales of pads and plugs by billions of dollars. Talk about cramping their profits.

My inquiring mind got on the Internet to learn more, of course, but I’m not so sure Seasonique is going to become the big hit it promises to be. Most of those who’d tried it ragged this new pill and wrote in to discuss the unpleasant side effects they experienced: “I lost my sex drive,” “It gave me excruciating headaches,” “I thought I was going to bleed out!” Buyer beware. It’s Season-eek!

Upon reading these cursed non-recommendations, I have some advice for you young readers. I think you should just embrace your Inner PMS, welcome your monthly visits from Aunt Flo and her Crimson Tide, pop some Midol, roll up in a ball of unbelievable pain, and suck it up like we old broads did. After all, it’s a great excuse for being bitchy. I should know. I wrote the book on Bitch. Period.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah it just doesn't sound healthy or normal to stop the natural flow of things. ;)

dr. maureen said...

it's also pretty pricey and a lot of insurance companies don't want to pay for it. we've actually been doing the same thing for yrs just by having women skip the "fake pills" in their bc pack---taking the real pills for 9 weeks then 1 week of "fake pills" to have a period. lots cheaper, just not as "popular" as advertising on tv