Monday, May 4, 2009

ROCK SHOW

I have another little confession to make about my quirky lifestyle. I am a certified, raging rockaholic, and Big Bore is my enabler, aide and abettor, partner in grime, whatever you want to call it. This sickness began in 1977 when I took the above rock from Teton Lake in Wyoming, and it continues to this day.

Now, I am not a student of geology. I have no idea what all my rocks are scientifically called, although I've given some of them names. I just go for what I think is interesting looking. Here are a few of the specimens around the yard:

This is Wavy Rock. BB found it a few years ago when Lake Fegan had receded. It is now perched in front of our porch steps.

Don't tell anyone, but this rock came from the top of Pike's Peak. I had to search for a small enough one to stash in my purse.

This is my Mick Jagger Rock, which also came from Lake Fegan. The red blob looks like Mick's lips, don't you think?

This is Little Hitchin' Post Rock. Next to it is a mosaic flower pot disaster I made a few years ago.


When BB moved to Casa de la Flaming Bore a few years ago, he brought his own box of rocks with him. Be still my heart! Above and below are my favorites from that collection.


Whenever we leave the city limits, I usually have my rockin' radar going full tilt. It's long been thought in some intellectual circles that I have rocks in my head, and I would venture to say it's true. Rock on!!



1 comment:

Dusti said...

"Be still my heart" had me smiling. Too cute.

I'm impressed with your collection. As of yet, the rocks I've picked up have been mostly the heart shaped variety, mostly little things. Not the showcase-sized ones from your garden. I'm motivated now to find some beauties to really display.

A long long time ago, on a field trip to the flint hills, I found a triangular rock in the water with a perfect circle out of the top of it. Beside it, the circle of rock. I took it home and asked my dad how that could happen, and his guess was that it had a crack, the water froze and broke the rock. It's pretty cool how it sits together. That's gotta be my favorite find. :-) good times.