Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A PEACEFUL KIND OF DAY

Big Bore had to work on Memorial Day, second shift, so we ditched the idea of going to one of the nearby lakes and fighting the crowds. I hit up the grocery store deli for some mesquite turkey, potato salad, and baked beans. No cooking! Then we had lunch on the patio after spending the morning doing yard work. No driving! And to make it all the better, there were no pesky insects bothering us or hot sun bearing down. What a wonderful picnic! We just kicked back and enjoyed the meal and conversation. And best of all for BB, as soon as he was full, he just moseyed a few steps back into the house and crashed out for a little nap before work.

After he left, I painted coat #3 of the first section of kitchen cabinets, watched "Jeopardy," and then hit the country roads for a 6-mile jog/walk. During the final mile I was thinking about Memorial Day and a childhood friend, Monty, who was killed in Viet Nam. He is buried at Fort Gibson National Cemetery in Oklahoma, and whenever I’ve gone down to put flowers on his grave, I’ve always left a penny atop his marker. I don’t know why. I just do. Anyway, when I was doing my walking and thinking, I blurted out loud, “I wish you peace, Monty.” And I hadn’t any more gotten out his name when a quarter appeared on the road right before my feet. I decided Monty must be trying to communicate with me, but heaven must not mess with pennies.

I hope at some point yesterday you thought of special someone and had peace in your heart for that person, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not Veteran's Day yet, is it?

Nancy Evans said...

Nope, Diva, that's November 11th. I think it's one of those dates that doesn't rely on being on some sort of Monday.