Saturday, May 16, 2009

TALKING TURKEY


Just when you thought I’d covered about every bitch topic that exists, I have a new pet peeve to gripe about! It’s arrived just in time for warm weather, with me wanting to be outdoors all the time. What is it, you ask? Well, what has four wheels, cool treats, and plays a loud, obnoxious, calliope-style version of “Turkey in the Straw” and never shuts up? It’s the $%#@! ice cream truck that has invaded our town. It’s making me mental!

Last night I was walking/jogging, and although I never saw the blasted noisemaker, I could HEAR it the entire hour I was out. Miles away. It’s disturbing my peace!! And, of course, the high-pitched tune drives the dogs crazy, and they howl and bark up a storm. It’s like a chain reaction from hell. Where are my ear plugs when I need them? Desperately.

I’m not usually one to begrudge some hard-working kid the opportunity to make an honest living, especially one who’s hawking yummy treats, but if the volume doesn’t get turned down on the “Turkey in the Straw Mobile,” I’m going to waddle up to that sales driver and shout two words into his ear: “Stuff it!!!”

3 comments:

Sarah said...

We always hear the Ice Cream truck, but it never comes to our street. Tease.

Anonymous said...

When one of my friends' children was four he was run over, I mean totally over his whole body by an ice cream truck that came by a baseball game. Since then she has opposed them at every turn with some success. She has attacked them from the noise abatement angle and also from the nuisaniance angle. They are forbidden in gated communities and some communities in California have outlawed them. They don't sell one nutritious thing. At least in Mexico they sell frozen bananas!

Nancy Evans said...

Interesting that you should mention the pedestrian hazard, Diva, as the Wichita paper yesterday reported a similar accident. Kid got his ice cream treat then carelessly moved out into the field of traffic and was hit by a vehicle that didn't stop!