Saturday, May 9, 2009

WEED EATER

This has been one of my weeks to take care of the Garden Club’s park downtown, but with all the rain we’ve had, there hasn’t been that much to do. I’ve weeded and swept mulch off the sidewalk and removed a big ol’ carpet remnant that had blown in. Oh, and cleaned the bird droppings off the benches and sidewalk and picked up nasty cigarette butts left by thoughtless smokers. That was loads of fun. Notice in the first picture how the city workers who installed the fountain had no clue about centering it.

The renters next door moved this week, so I did some neighborly yard work since the owner lives in Colorado. There were lots of branches to pick up, and the little circle garden was weedy once again. This home has been vacant so often during my 27 years on the block (gasp!) that I’ve more or less adopted the yard as my own. But I draw the line at mowing the multiple lots of lawn. The Flaming Bore is not quite that energetic. I have enough work to do in my own yard. Like watching the peony buds start to pop open. That requires intense concentration, but I'm ready to get with it. Have a weed-free weekend.

No comments: