Friday, May 15, 2009

IT'S A BREEZE


It's a sunny, windy morning in our little part of the world today. I've been outside letting my hair blow dry and having flashbacks to my kid years, when I'd explore the South Mound near our house in Fredonia on days like this one.

I always enjoyed getting off the beaten path around the lower parts of the Mound. On the southwest side of it, there was a slab of sandstone that jutted out from the ground, making a nice spot for lying down at an angle, soaking up some rays, and listening to the breeze and the birds or the latest gossip from girlfriends making the trek with me.

A few years ago, I tried to find the pathway to that favorite spot. The area is tangled with overgrowth; I guess that happens in 45 years. I had one of my great nephews with me, and he wasn't so sure about traipsing down into the area. There might be poison ivy or snakes. But, we forged ahead and eventually found the rock that was once my roosting spot a lifetime ago. He wasn't as impressed with it as I was when I was his age, but he agreed it might be a good place for a 14-year-old girl to hide in lieu of doing chores at home.

Everybody needs his or her secret little place to think and dream and jump away from responsibilities. Even adults. Secluded. No interruptions. Carefree. Maybe I need to get back to the South Mound more often.


1 comment:

Jaime said...

Definitely a must!

Wow! That peony is gorgeous! Your camera is much better than mine ;)