Tuesday, November 9, 2010

IT'S THE PITTS


I’m off to Pittsburg today to help take Mom to a doctor’s appointment. Big Bore is staying home to play in his compost pile and work in the yard.

I wonder how many times over the years I have gone to Pittsburg. Lots of miles, for sure. I lived there for five years when in college, so the town has special memories. Ahhh. It was there that Dr. Maureen and I terrorized the Student Union basement while working on college publications. It was there that Cowgirl Kris and I dragged Broadway, bar-hopped, and partied with the basketball team. It was there that I fell in lust with Baseball Ray, god rest his soul. When I drive the streets of the ‘burg, I feel like I’m 21 years old again--for a few seconds, anyway. I’ll be overcome with sweet flashes of familiar places filled with young faces that aren’t so young anymore. Most of the old hang-outs are gone, replaced by newer, fancier ones, but the old friendships in my mind always remain the same.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

and we still look just like that!!

Nancy Evans said...

Damn, I wish!