Wednesday, November 17, 2010

OUT TO LUNCH

Since we are always searching for cultural events to attend in our great state, Library Lady and I are planning to check out the Elk Falls Outhouse Tour this coming Saturday in a neighboring county. There was a blurb about this extravaganza in our local newpaper today, and the last few lines really caught my eye: “….the Howard Rotary will be serving funnel cakes.”

Hmmmm. In all my 61 years, I have never tasted a funnel cake. Oh, I’ve been to county fairs and state fairs and all sorts of other fine places that serve up this sweet treat of grease and powdered sugar, its aroma tempting my taste buds, but I’ve never caved in and tried it. Big Bore says he hasn’t, either. But everyone I’ve ever seen eating the puffy concoction always has a happy face, licking sticky fingers--acting as though it's delicious right down to the last bite.

So, for the next few days, I will be contemplating whether or not I should lose my funnel cake virginity or remain pure. Are they really that good? I’m afraid my stomach might rebel and I’ll end up in one of the outhouses. What should I do? Go for the funnel cake or stick up my nose, walk on by, and head for the sloppy Joe stand? It’s a question of monumental importance to me, so all opinions are welcome. To funnel or not to funnel?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

FUNNEL!!!! THEY ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST!!! They are a true favorite in my family. Get powdered sugar on top and ENJOY!!! They are like a big doughnut only better.

Dusti said...

No Question - FUNNEL! You only live once and you haven't lived until you've tasted a Funnel Cake! :)

dr. maureen said...

i, too, have never tasted a funnel cake. i would personally probably save my calories for something with chocolate.

Kayle said...

Come on -- if I can finally go the the Nut Hut you have a funnel cake!

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Kayle, but you still didn't eat the nuts, you silly girl. :)