Friday, November 19, 2010

LET THEM EAT CAKE

At last! Some news worth talking about! I’m tired of all the buzz on political in-fighting, the price of groceries, and the latest Cher movie. Yesterday, direct from jolly old England, came word that Brit’s hunky specimen of royalty, Prince William, is getting married! Hooray!! There’s nothing like an overblown wedding to put everyone in a better mood!

The Flaming Bore totally approves of Will’s choice for a bride, the lovely Kate Middleton, his gal pal for the past seven years or so. She has a dancer’s lean body and fabulous, long chestnut hair that will just look grand tangled around a tiara. I simply can’t wait to receive my personal invitation to plop in front of the TV and watch the spectacle across the Atlantic--and I say that in all seriousness. I’m always “up” for a good excuse to indulge in cake and ice cream.

My own wedding, thirty long years ago, was a courthouse affair. The bride and groom wore blue jeans and a “reception” of sorts took place at an ice hockey game. I never wanted all the fuss and frills for myself--I am the lowest of low on the low maintenance scale, but I’m sure hoping Will and Kate will spring for something elaborate--20 bridesmaids, the London Symphony, and fresh-cut flowers everywhere. If they opt out for an elopement, I’m going to be royally steamed.

Congratulations, you two love birds. And if I have any piece of marital advice for you, (yes, I’m qualified--I have the divorce papers to prove it) it’s NOT to take anyone’s advice. Just muddle along like the rest of us. Good luck, kids.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

and the attendants wore lovely plaid flannel shirts with their blue jeans. wasn't there something funny about your wedding cake also? i'm having a memory fart

Nancy Evans said...

Yes, my dear "attendant" it was a Sarah Lee special right out of the frozen foods dept. at some grocery store and the cake had a gorilla candle on top. A puprple Magilla Gorilla, as I recall. I pitched the extra piece of cake in the freezer long ago, but the candle may still be around somewhere. Not sure. So much for sentimentality. :)