Tuesday, November 30, 2010

THE SUNNY SIDE

Well over a year ago, I dug into my savings and sprang for some new double-hung windows for the ancient Casa de la Flaming Bore. They’re the nifty kind where I can stay inside but still clean the outside of them--provided I could remember the salesman’s demonstration by the time I actually got around to washing them, which, in my case, was yesterday.

Fortunately, Big Bore came to my rescue to show me the ropes, and once I caught on, after three windows, the Windex and I had a grand time. And I was doubly happy, hallelujah, because earlier in the day, when I was cleaning out the entertainment cabinet, I found my O Brother, Where Art Thou? CD, which has been missing in action for five years or so. I turned on the tunes, cleaned the windows, and sang along while I worked. Here’s the chorus to my favorite song on the soundtrack:

“Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side,
Keep on the sunny side of life.
It will help us every day, It will brighten all the way,
If we keep on the sunny side of life.”


I did a little research on this song and learned that the lyrics were written in 1899 by one Ada Blenkhorn, inspired by her disabled nephew who always wanted his wheelchair pushed along the “sunny side” of the street. Isn’t that sweet? Knowing the story makes me feel ashamed of ever being an old grumpy puss at times. We should always try to keep on the sunny side of life…even when we’re washing windows.

1 comment:

Luellen said...

I got your Christmas letter today & am reading your blog. It cracks me up & reminds me of those days (many years ago) when I was sitting in your English or Yearbook class. Laura & I loved Oh Brother Where Art Thou & I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks for the memories & I look forward to laughing more as I read your blog. : )