Monday, February 7, 2011

OH, SAY CAN YOU SING?

Did anyone out in cyberland watch the Super Bowl pre-game show last night and experience super agony when pop singer Christina Aguilera sang "The National Anthem?" It was torture!!

Now, at first I didn't say anything, just thinking my ears were acting up again. Did she just mess up that third line?" I thought. But then Big Bore blurted out, "What the hell is she singing?" and I knew I wasn't just the only person who wasn't feeling so proudly about what she was hailing, or wailing, or whatever it was she was doing.

"I'm not sure what she's singing, but it can't be The National Anthem," I answered.

I consider myself an anthem expert because once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, I used to sing it before Fredonia High School basketball games in three-part harmony with a girls trio. We played it straight. No runs up the octave scale or drawn-out words. Our philosophy was to get it sung in 60 seconds. Otherwise, it was too long.

I didn't time Christina, but it was obvious her rendition was burned beyond recognition. And worse yet, she was probably getting paid tens of thousands of dollars to screw it up! Aaaaggghhhh!!! Joe Cocker on acid could have done a better job. Of course, what else should we expect from someone who became famous singing, "Gitchy, gitchy, gitchy, yah, yah, yah"???

On a more positive note, a new episode of "Glee" came on after the game, and BB and I were simply super bowled over when the Guy Gleeks sang, "She's Not There," a 1964 standard by The Zombies. Remember them? Applause, applause, encore, encore, standing ovation!!

Next year, we suggest that the Super Bowl planning committee just recruit some random high school glee club to sing "The National Anthem" and spare all of us the misery. The results will be ever so much better...and cheaper.

1 comment:

dr. maureen said...

i was also freaked out by her messing up the words. they need to get us to sing the anthem---and throw in "Oh Canada" for free.