Tuesday, September 6, 2011

CHILL OUT

Good lord! When I stepped outside at 8 o'clock this morning, our front porch thermometer read 34 degrees! After a summer of over 60 days in the 100 degrees+ range, this threw my body into shock and I ran back inside to warm up.

"Where are my sweatpants?" I asked anyone who would listen. I rummaged through the closet and couldn't find where I'd stored them last spring, so I just put on my spotted-leopard flannel jammy pants, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and went back outside to suck in the cool air. I must be in Colorado.

I don't mind the heat so much, but the drought has been hideous. Every time clouds start forming, we get on Weather Spark or Weather Bug to watch the storms boil up all around us, only to have them give us the snub. We have cracks in our front yard so big that I think I'm in danger of slipping inside one and never being seen again. Saturday we got a few tiny sprinkles, but I got wetter when the little neighbor kid assaulted me with a spray bottle.

In the last few hours, the temp has risen almost 30 degrees, so I don't think I'm going to need to put out an All Points Bulletin yet for the sweatpants--but at least I can begin to think about cooler weather, watering less, and raking more. My weather calendar says that autumn is officially 17 days away and thunderstorms are in the forecast. I'll believe it when I see it.

No comments: