Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'LL WAGER CANADA, ALEX

Yesterday, the final question on "Jeopardy" was from that wacky category, eh, Canada, which opened up a wormy can of memories for The Flaming Bore.

"Dr. Maureen and I used to go to lots of baseball and hockey games," I told Big Bore, "and every time a Canadian team was in the mix, she would belt out the Canadian National Anthem like there was no tomorrow."

The song is shorter than the American National Anthem but sung with much more emotion and gusto, which Dr. M. never failed to inject. And, of course, being the daughter of a football coach, she had enough volume to reach even the most remote regions of the stadium or arena. I never joined in on her "O Canada" performances, preferring to be the sidekick, shaking my head and laughing.

Invariably, people sitting around us would ask Dr. Maureen if she was from Canada. Rather than blow up some ridiculous story, which I would have expected her to do, she was honest: "No, I just know the words to 'O Canada' and I like it better than our anthem."

I can't remember now what the Canada question was on "Jeopardy," but Big Bore and I both missed the answer. He guessed British Columbia and I picked New Brunswick, but the answer was Prince Edward Island. Rats. If Alex Trebek had said, "These are the last eight words of the Canadian National Anthem" then I would been triumphant.

"O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!!!" I belted out in my best, off-key operatic voice at the end of the quiz show.

Big Bore rolled his eyes. "Hanging out with Maureen and you must have been a real trip," he said.

Yeah. Sort of like putting your life in jeopardy. Double jeopardy.


2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

i can still sing it, but they don't play it at the Panthers game. however, if the Charlotte Bobcats play the Toronto Raptors this yr, i could sing it there!!!! of course the NBA might not have a season just to rob me of this...

i really should have pretended that i was from Canada, eh??

Nancy Evans said...

Yes,---kind of like how we went to Denny's in Joplin and pretended to be deaf or blind or whatever it was. You could have been Queen of the Yukon or something.