Saturday, September 10, 2011

IS THERE A VET IN THE HOUSE?

This past week we've been nursing Little Bit, who has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He's lost weight and fluids out of both ends, if you know what I mean, so we've had our work cut out for us. Not in anyone's favor is his age, 16, but we're going to give it the old veterinary college try.

I'm doing most of the at-home doctoring, but Big Bore is helping when I administer the twice-a-day anti-nausea shots because I don't want Little Bit taking off in the middle of the procedure, and I don't have enough confidence to go it solo like I do with the thyroid pill popping. "Hold him down" is all I ask. The two of them are good buddies, so it's worked out okay so far.

When Big Bore was recuperating from his arterial bypass surgery five years ago (you can see the beginning of his scar in the pic above), Bits rarely left his side, so we owe the ol' cat our best effort. My mother has told me to quit wasting my money on vet bills and have him put to sleep, but I'm not ready to do that--yet. He may not live much longer, or he may live a few more years--whatever. At least we'll be able to say we gave it our best effort.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

i understand totally

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, I know you do! You've been through all this as many times as I have, if not more!