Monday, September 12, 2011

FOOTBALL FEVER

I'm not as rabid a football fan as my college pal Dr. Maureen, but I still looked forward to the regular season starting up yesterday. I follow two teams--the Kansas City Chiefs, since the word Kansas is in their title, and the Carolina Panthers, since Maureen and her husband are season ticket holders. Also, I own a stylish turquoise and black, sleeveless, Panthers football t-shirt and like cats of any kind.

Anyway, it was with more than just a passing interest that I sat down in front of the TV yesterday to watch the Chiefs host the Buffalo Bills...and fumble their first play of the game, a kick-off return, which led to the first Bills score. And it all went downhill from there. Dropped balls, missed tackles, an interception, and the Chiefs had their worst home opener in franchise history, losing 41-7.

Now, since I have nothing better to do, I sometimes try to guess what the headline will be on the sports page of the big city newspaper the day following the big game. On maybe two rare occasions we have matched ideas, but most of the time the pro writers have a much better headline to summarize the game. Here were my top creations for yesterday's Chiefs game:

Opening Fright
Buffaloed
Call 9-1-1 (Okay, so I know it's in poor taste considering yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.)
Chiefs Scalped (Okay, so I know it's politcally incorrect to make Indian references.)
Oops! They did it again! (Okay, so I know it's lame to paraphrase Brittney Spears.)

Well, of course, the actual headline was much better than my efforts: Flat broke, busted

I think the Chiefs and I need to return to the practice field and get better prepared for the next game/headline.

No comments: