Tuesday, August 30, 2011

INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS

About once a month or so I have a dream about running in a race. Now, for almost 30 years I entered fun runs ranging from 3 to 10 miles, some triumphantly and others not so hot, but these dream runs are always absolute struggles where I'm crawling to the finish line or going over hellacious barriers.

Last night's run dream was a slight variation of the usual. This time I was in a college cross country race on a golf course, where I was running in second place, but then all the sudden I lost sight of the gal in the lead. The constant white stripe indicating the course also faded away. Uh-oh. The third place gal followed me and soon we were running inside tall buildings, pulling ourselves in and out of windows, up cliffs, the works. We just keep puffing and panting until our coaches finally found us and took us back to the finish line. All the other runners had long since finished the race and were on their cool-downs, and they laughed when they saw the two biggest losers who strayed off the course.

In non-dream life I probably ran in well over 100 fun runs during my heyday, and I never got lost in a single one of them. Why have this goofy dream? I consulted my live-in psychotherapist, and he told me the dream was prompted by the hiking trip we're planning to take to Colorado in October.

"How do you figure that?" I asked.

"Because you're always getting off the trails," he said.

Well, he's right about that one. If he wasn't around to steer me out of trouble, I'd STILL be roaming around the Rocky Mountains, or the Ozark Mountains, or the San Juan Mountains, or even Woodson Cove at Toronto Lake. I tend to walk and gawk at the same time, taking pictures and daydreaming. Next thing I know, Big Bore is yelling at me, "Where are you going?" and then he'll reel me in to where I'm supposed to be. We've given serious thought about putting me on a leash.

And I think after having another one of these running nightmares, perhaps I should also invest in a bedroom Global Positioning System (GPS) for my lost-in-space dream world travels.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

so I also have a recurring dream/nightmare. I am in a hotel and trying to find my room but keep getting lost in endless corridors and in elevators that go the wrong way---some of them even sideways. also, every bathroom i go to in the dream is a mess, with toilets stopped up and doors off the stalls.

so what does BB the dream interpreter make of this???

Nancy Evans said...

This means you've been on too many business trips!!