Monday, August 1, 2011

GONE WITH THE WIND

Back on May 23, I blogged about the Joplin, Missouri tornado, mentioning my hope that two former favorite haunts, Frank's Lounge and Denney's, had survived the storm. During my trip to Arkansas last week, curiosity got the better of me and I made a drive through Joplin to check on the businesses. Denney's is alive and well, located over a mile south of the line of fire, but, alas, Frank's Lounge is no more. The above picture shows what is pretty much left of Frank's. Say it isn't so. Had its address been just one block to the north, it would still be standing.

When I saw what wasn't left of Frank's, my immediate thought went to the lounge's customer supreme, Mr. Phillips, a Channel 12 co-worker of mine (and Dr. Maureen's) almost 40 years ago, and a man well-scholared in brew. He died last year, and it's probably for good reason. He would have suffered too much if he'd seen his beloved Frank's reduced to a pile of bricks. The place was his home away from home. He was a man of drama. God spared him the grief.

So, here's to old taverns blown to smithereens. Frank's we loved you and hope you'll soon be back in business. And here's to our ol' fuss-budgety buddy Mr. Phillips relaxing on his big bar stool in the sky. No tornado watching required.

Celebrating my 28th birthday at Frank's Lounge, 1977. That's Mr. Phillips in front and Dr. Maureen and me in the back of our favorite corner table.




3 comments:

dr. maureen said...

you have saved every picture ever!!!

Nancy Evans said...

And are we ever two hot chicks?! Make that WERE we ever......

Unknown said...

Joplin is so devastating. I was speechless when I toured it a while ago. Amazing what mother nature can do.

You gals look great. Definitely looked like a fun place to be where memories were made.