Thursday, August 18, 2011

MAKING UP IS HARD TO DO

There was a blurb on the Today Show this morning about little girls wearing make-up at younger and younger ages, which prompted the following question from Big Bore:

"Did you ever put on you mom's make-up and play dress-up when you were a kid?"

"Good lord, no!" I answered. "I was always outside playing with the boys and the other tomboys on the block."

"Not even once?"

"If I did, I sure don't remember it. Check with Mom. I can't imagine her ever letting me get into her stuff even if I wanted to."

I've never worn much make-up, not even when I was a teenager falling all over the guys. Oh, a little mascara and lip gloss--that's about it. I've never been able to justify the expense of trying to turn a hopeless case into a hopeless case wearing make-up. Why bother?

When I lived with Sexy Sandy in Dallas 40 years ago (see Sept. 6, 2008 blog) I once tried out false eyelashes and green eye shadow and looked like a street corner reject. Sandy had a suitcase filled with every shade of make-up ever manufactured since the beginning of time, and I think she was hoping to convert me into a girly-girl, but her efforts didn't stick and she finally gave up on me.

About the only make-up I've added to my "beauty regimen" since then is Maybelline Cover Stick in beige. It's specifically for the dark circles under my eyes, the sun-damaged blob under my left eye, and to attempt to conceal the freckle on the bridge of my nose that looks like a blasted blackhead. And Cover Stick is only used for special occasions, like going to a wedding or a club meeting. Otherwise, forget it. I've had the same tube of Cover Stick in my make-up bag for about 25 years or so. That's how often a special occasion pops up in my life.

What you see is what you get. Honestly. I'm not making up any of this! And that includes my face!

4 comments:

dr. maureen said...

sandy did have some extensive makeup! i'm with you---mascara only for special occasions. i don't even use the cover stick or lip stuff. depend on my sparkly personality

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Sandy was a real artist with it, wasn't she?! Yes, your personality does shine--that's for sure!

Kayle said...

I think there is an expiration date on the Cover Up stick!?

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Kayle, maybe that's why I look in need of a face lift!