Friday, August 5, 2011

FLITTERING AROUND

I don't know what this big guy is called in botanical terms, but there are a gazillion of them hanging around the flowers of Quigley Castle in northwest Arkansas (see blog entry dated August 3rd) and they love to have their picture taken. My own butterfly bush here in Kansas has seen a number of visitors this summer, but none quite like this one.

Casa de la Flaming Bore has also had a number of drop-ins from evil grasshoppers--some which are so huge that I've been forced to tangle with them and fight them to the death. I especially like to grab them, wrestle them to the ground, whack them silly with one of my flip-flops--all the while lecturing them. "Bad grasshopper! Stay away from my garden!!" No mercy for grasshoppers. That's my motto. One does not need insecticide when The Flaming Bore is in action.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

kinda like me liking to crush the Japanese beetles, then leaving their bodies out for the other beetles to see

Nancy Evans said...

Exactly, M! Let this be a lesson! It also works with squash bugs and cut worms. A damned grasshopper got the better of me this morning. I intend to go back out this afternoon and try again. I will NOT accept defeat!