Tuesday, August 30, 2011

BIRDS AND THE BEES

For the past month I've been trying to get a decent picture of the hummingbirds on the front porch, but this shot is about as good as I've taken so far. They don't exactly like to pose. Actually, we prefer to call them "bumblebirds" because they sort of sound like a swarm of bees when they dive bomb around the feeder. "Watch out for the killer bumblebirds!!"

We have noticed that our hummingbirds are extremely territorial and don't like to share. Sometimes it appears as though a World War II aerial dogfight is taking place. I had a vistor a few afternoons ago, and I swear she was more interested in watching the air show than in talking to me.

I did a bit of research to find out what gives with the hummers being so antagonistic towards each other. Seems once a male claims a feeder early in the season, he gets royally ticked off when another male flies in for a sip, and Numero Uno doesn't want to share. He's the same way with the females up until he's mated with them. After the lady "bumbler" complies to having a little bit of bird sex, then she's "in" and she can have free access to the feeder without being harassed. Just like a man. Right?

So much for your lesson in sex education for today. I'm going back to the camera.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I got a really awesome shot with my camera the other day at mom's feeder. I will have to post it. Those suckers are FAST!!!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, please post, Sarah! Between their speed and the shade under the porch, I've not had much luck!