Tuesday, August 9, 2011

MY HAPPY FACE

When I got home from the library yesterday afternoon, Big Bore announced he had a surprise for me in the refrigerator.

"What is it?"

"Guess," he said.

"Asiago cheese? Something from the deli?"

"No. It's something from our garden."

"Tomatoes? Oh, never mind. We didn't even grow tomatoes this year. (Then sudden realization.) The cantaloupe? I thought they weren't ripe yet." This is the first year the Bores have tried growing cantaloupe and we weren't quite sure if they were ready for consumption.

Before he could say, "Go for it," I'd rushed to the kitchen, pulled open the refrigerator door, and grabbed out a big tub of 'loupe he'd sliced up. OMG!!! How can I describe what it tasted like? Just the sweetest, juiciest cantaloupe ever! Heaven to my taste buds!

"This is absolutely, totally the best cantaloupe I've ever eaten!" Oh, I raved on and on.

Too bad it took three months to grow what we ate in about three minutes. And it's also too bad we didn't set out very many plants in the spring since we didn't know what to expect. Next year, believe me, we are going to turn Big Bore's garden into a cantaloupe factory.

No comments: