Saturday, August 20, 2011

SOPHISTICATED LADY

Last night I channel surfed onto some TLC program called "Four Weddings," at which time I learned why our nation has landed in a financial garbage dump. It's because people are spending $40,000 on stupid weddings!!!!

The gist of the show was to see which of four weddings was tops in venue, food, decorations, gown, and overall experience. The winner received a trip to some 3rd-world island.

Now, if The Learning Channel ever comes up with a show about cheap weddings, The Flaming Bore is going to be in hot contention. When I tied the noose back in 1980, my guess is the budget was well under $100.00, including the marriage license:

Venue: Sedgwick County Courthouse and Wichita Thunder Ice Rink

Food: Sara Lee cake and hotdogs at the ice hockey game

Decorations: none, other than the dead something that Dr. Maureen picked from the courthouse entryway

Gown: jeans and flannel shirt, old but clean

Overall Experience: good for a few laughs

I think more money was spent on the divorce.

4 comments:

dr. maureen said...

it was an event to remember!! didn't we all sleep all over your house too?

Nancy Evans said...

I think we are at my brother's place in Wichita????

dr. maureen said...

i celebrated the event so much i don't even remember where i slept....i'm sure it was the cake. what was the topper, a monkey or something equally silly?

Nancy Evans said...

It was a Magilla Gorilla candle. Threw it away a few years back when I was cleaning out a drawer! Wonder what ever happened to my Royals halter top????