Monday, August 15, 2011

FASTER THAN A SPEEDING....TICKET

Ever since I picked up my great neph Bo last Friday, he's been practicing his backseat driving skills:

"You drive too slowly, Aunt Nancy. You don't have to go 55 when the limit is 70."

"I'm not going 55. I'm going 58."

"But it's too slow. Look at all the people who are passing you."

This same old tune has played on and on, over and over again, whenever we're out on the highway.

"You're going 15 miles under the limit. You're making me nervous."

"You're slowing down again."

"All those trucks are trying to get around you."

So, it was quite a surprise Saturday afternoon when I got stopped by a cop for....driving too fast????!!!!

We'd left Hutchinson and were headed to Wichita on a 55 mph county road. Except, apparently the speed limit changed to 30 mph when the road entered an area where there was a church and a small school building that were apparently used by people who drive horse and buggies instead of motorized vehicles. And I was talking with Bo and not watching the signs and....ooops! Good grief! Could it really be that slowpoke Aunt Nancy was going to get a blasted speeding ticket?

"You were clocked at 48 miles per hour," the officer informed me.

"Geesh. And here I thought I was driving under the speed limit," I told him, nicely, of course. I handed over my driver's license and proof of insurance. He returned to say he'd just give me a warning this time but that I needed to slow it down.

"You know the irony of all this is that my great nephew here has been complaining the past few days that I drive too slowly."

"Everybody passes her and about blows us off the road," Bo added.

Well, after we dodged the speeding ticket bullet, I drove about another quarter of a mile, got on a state highway with a 65 mph limit, and we went on our pokey way. Believe me, I'm staying away from horse and buggy roads from now on. And the next time Bo tells me to speed up, I'm going to make a citizen's arrest and tell him to zip it!





2 comments:

Luellen said...

Did you by chance go to the Cosmosphere in Hutch? I took the boys with some of Jim's family last month & Joseph (my 3-yr old) pulled the fire alarm & the entire place had to evacuate! Needless to say we won't be going back for awhile. : ) It was good to see you at Laura's shower!

Nancy Evans said...

OMG!!!! HOW WILD! WE'VE BEEN TO THE COSMOSPHERE NUMEROUS TIMES, SO THIS TIME WE JUST WENT TO THE SALT MINE. BELIEVE ME, IT WOULD BE MUCH MORE COMPLICATED EVACUATING THERE SINCE IT'S 650 FEET UNDER GROUND! PERHAPS JOSEPH WILL WANT TO WAIT A WHILE BEFORE TRYING IT OUT. :) SO GLAD YOU ARE CLOSER TO HOME AND YOUR BFF DUFFY BEING SO CLOSE BY.