Tuesday, August 23, 2011

NEWS OF THE DAY

Extra!! Extra!! Read all about it!! This is the final week that the big city newspaper will be delivered daily at Casa de la Flaming Bore. Seems the new editor has decided that our burg isn't generating enough $$$ to make the effort worthwhile. The Sunday paper will continue to be delivered and those of us thirsty for news the other six days of the week have been told that we can go to the website to read the daily e-news.

Stop the presses!!! I've tried reading the paper via computer and I hate it!!! I'm slave enough to this blasted computer as it is. I don't want to sit in my desk chair and click this link and click that link and have to use what's left of my brain to muddle my way through an e-newspaper. It will take me all day!!

I want to slouch on the sofa, get my hands on the paper, rip it apart section by section, scan, skim, work the puzzles, drink my coffee or tea, eat my cereal, drip milk all over my shirt...just like I've done for the past 30 or so years that I've been a loyal subscriber. Doesn't this new editor know that we old folks DO NOT LIKE CHANGE???

Fortunately, some enterprising folks in a nearby town are going to deliver the paper as private providers, but we've decided just to get it on Fridays and Saturdays, along with the regular Sunday issue. I figure I'm at the library practically every weekday, anyway, so I just as well read it there on the other four days it won't be on our porch. Of course, I don't think Library Lady will allow me inside with my usual morning newspaper-reading attire...nor will she let me pull apart the paper and then leave it scattered all over the floor. One must make concessions and adjustments when making public appearances. Rats. But I think she might allow a caffeinated beverage in the reading room if I promise to wear a bib and clean up after myself.

I guess I'd better check with Library Lady to see if the library is even going to continue with daily delivery from the private provider. And if she tells me, "Read the e-edition on your computer," well, that's gonna be some really, really bad news.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

i know exactly what you mean about having the paper in your hands and turning the pages and going through the sections. i missed getting the Charlotte Observer so much we moved closer to Charlotte!! i had read it online but it isn't the same as in your hands. I'm sure it's the influence of John Knowles or Jerry ....what was his name????

Nancy Evans said...

John Knowles was our newspaper adviser. Jerry Demel was the yearbook adviser. I still crack up thinking about your darkroom exit after hooting it up in there with Bob Stockdale. Priceless! So many fine moments in the Union basement.