Thursday, April 5, 2012

FRESH AS A DORIS DAISY

The other day during the root canal drive to the dentist office, Big Bore and I were singing "Que Sera, Sera," a huge Doris Day hit back in, oh, probably the late 1950s.

During my grade school years, darling Doris (nicknamed Dodo to her close, personal friends) was my favorite actress. She seemed friendly and nice during interviews, and she could sing and dance. What wasn't there to like about Doris? She wasn't drop-dead gorgeous like Elizabeth Taylor or Ava Gardner. She was cute. Perky.

So, once I found out that this is Doris Day Week on Turner Classic Movies channel, I've been overdosing on Doris, who, say it isn't so, is now 88 years old!! Doris an octagenarian? Almost 90? Amazing!

Last night's features had a different kind of Doris--dramatic and in dire distress, married to no-goodniks. Why, in the first movie she actually got shot at a Ku Klux Klan rally she'd disrupted. "Oh, my gosh! The Klan just killed off Doris!" I cried out to Big Bore, as he piddled on the computer. Say it isn't so!

Tonight it's back to romantic comedies, and I have my whole Day's agenda planned. A girl can just never get enough Doris.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

plus she's a real animal advocate

Nancy Evans said...

YES, I THINK SHE FINALLY GAVE UP ON HUSBANDS AND stuck to dogs!