Tuesday, April 24, 2012

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Close to 100 years ago poet Robert Frost wrote "The Road Not Taken," a metaphor for individualism.  The basic message he tries to get across:  the least followed path in life can often be one that ends up being the best choice. "....I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."

Well, today Big Bore and I decided to go with the literal translation of this poem when we headed home after decorating the family graves in a neighboring county.  Our last stop was at a country cemetery, and from there I suggested we continue on the gravel roads west of LaFontaine and go on to Howard. Then we'd get back on the highway for the remaining 30 miles home.  We'd never taken this route before, but let's follow Robert Frost's sage advice and take the roads less traveled.

And, boy, did it make a difference!  We took wrong turn after wrong turn, mainly thanks to my crack navigational skills, and ended up in Longton...about 20 miles southeast of Howard. But was that enough of bumpy roads for us?  Oh, no.  When we got to Elk Falls, BB decided we should get on the gravel again and go the next 10 miles to Howard--which we eventually found.  Time out to get a cherry lime-aid at Toot's Drive-In and reconnoiter.  Ahhhhh!

But had we had enough?  Not yet.  BB wanted to try to find an old bridge over Salt Creek that, as he recalls, has arches.  Library Lady and I are entering a county scavenger hunt and we have to take pictures of two bridges with arches.  Ten more miles on gravel roads later, no bridge. "Let's call it a day and go home," I whined. I'd slurped down all my cherry lime-aid and was getting thirsty again.  

So, what has made all the difference by taking the roads less travelled?  Number one:  we wasted a whole lot of gas.  Number two:  the car is filthy, inside and out, with dust.  And number three:  if all the car tires aren't flat by tomorrow morning, I'm going to be amazed. If Big Bore volunteers to clean out the car, I'll be even more amazed. 

Next time, we're sticking to the highways.


4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love you two!!! Sounds like a great day and I think I know the bridge he was talking about. Three arches on the way to a river we use to swim at.

dr. maureen said...

you guys need an ipad to help you navigate!!! we love to go out for a drive and discover new roads and ways to get places. I'm really visual and the map on the ipad helps me know where i am

Nancy Evans said...

Well, Sarah, where the heck are you when we need you? And to Dr. Maureen, ipad, ischmad! :)

Kayle said...

Didn't you mention Mt. Pleasant Cemetery before? My great-grandfather gave the ground for the cemetery . . if you care to know.