Sunday, May 6, 2012

HEADS UP

Until this afternoon I probably hadn't shoved on a softball glove for a few decades, but Sweet Neighbor Girl was desperate for a catching partner so I got the nod.  She had her first practice of the season scheduled later in the day, and she didn't want to look like a total loser.  So, on went the glove.  Ah...just like riding a bike. You never lose the touch.

"Don't throw me any grounders," I instructed my partner.  "If I have to bend down, I may never make it back up."  

Actually, the aching back managed to endure the workout pretty well, and my long-lost catching and throwing skills weren't too far off the mark.

"Gee, Nancy, you're good!" Sweet Neighbor Girl said, surprised that I could snag one of her errant throws. "Did you play ball when you were a kid?"

"Yeah.  I was a catcher and an outfielder."  I spared her the bloody details of breaking a tooth when I interfered with the swing of a bat during one fateful recess at Mound School.  That accident pretty much ended the catcher assignment, and thus began a long and not-so-illustrious career chasing balls in the outfield.  

Anyway, we threw and threw and threw this afternoon until we both sweat off about five pounds and then hit the showers. Hopefully Sweet Neighbor Girl did a stellar job at her team practice and didn't have to say, "Oops!" too many times.  

 Do you get the impression that I will do just about anything to avoid housework?  

No comments: