Wednesday, May 16, 2012

SMALL TOWN NIGHT LIFE

Heard during our bike ride last night:

"Let's take the streets east.  They aren't as bumpy."

"That catalpa tree smells great!  Let's stop and inhale."

"Sure lots of wildflowers in bloom."

"I want to stop at Dollar General and get some Peanut Butter Capt. Crunch."  (Big Bore usually has some ulterior motive on bike rides that either involve food or horseshoes.)

As soon as we got home from the ride, the doorbell rang and a forlorn Sweet Neighbor Girl was there wearing her "begging face."

"Would you like to play some catch?" she asked, glove and ball in her hands.  I could tell by her facial expression that she had been trying to find someone under 62 to play with her but hadn't had any luck.

"Sure...based on two conditions.  I have a 30-minute time limit and you don't laugh at my white, hairy legs.  Deal?"

"Deal."

We made a game out of seeing how many times we could exchange the ball before one of us dropped it, then we started over again.  I used her big sister's George Brett glove and wondered if she even knows who George Brett is.  I spared her all the Kansas City Royals sagas I experienced with Dr. Maureen back when we were baseball groupies a lifetime ago.

"Curfew time!" Big Bore announced when my half-hour was up. Not a moment too soon. I had a very important date scheduled:  "Glee."

The show ran for two hours since it was the grand nationals.  Oh, I was so gleeful---especially since the kids sang selections by Meatloaf and Queen!  By the end of the show, Big Bore and I had tears streaming down our faces.  Nothing like a few tunes to stir the emotional beast within us.  

What was left of the night was spent reading and riding the exercise bike. Ho-hum. Midnight approaches.

No glass slippers to worry about around here.  The few fancy clothes I own have long since been packed away.   





2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

I LOVE peanut butter captain crunch!!

just saw the last hour of Glee, but I think I amazed Scott by singing all the parts of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"---and all time favorite of mine

Nancy Evans said...

Have to admit that I occasionally sneak off with some of Jeff's PBCC. Addictive! I do recall you singing "Paradise" at some party. EVERY WORD of it! Rock on!