Monday, May 14, 2012

NAME GAME

There was a blurb on TV this morning about the current most popular baby names, which got me to thinking that NO ONE names little girls my name, Nancy, anymore. Alas, it is a name of the past.  A has-been. Trite. Gone with the wind. Vanishing. Extinct.

So, in order to continue avoiding housework, I got on a computer website to research my name and to find out its history of popularity.  

Nancy first appeared on the Top 20 list in 1931, landing at #17.  It broke into the Top 10 just three years later and remained there until 1956, when it slipped back to #11.  By 1963, it wasn't even in the Top 20.  "Cuter" names took over, like Lisa and Jennifer.  Nowadays, it's rare to find any breathing Nancy under age 50.  We're an ancient breed.  

But I still like my name, and I especially like my middle name, Elizabeth.  Queen Elizabeth. Elizabeth Taylor.  What royal company.  Nancy Elizabeth the First.

I checked another website to learn that there are 1,049,024 Nancys in the United States today, 99.9 percent of them females. That leaves a few male Nancys out there who are either being mercilessly teased or who are transgender.  Who knows.

I've decided that the rest of today I am going to go forth and embrace my "inner Nancy."  No housework allowed.   

2 comments:

Kayle said...

Did Kayle ever make the list???

Nancy Evans said...

NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 1,000. YOU ARE UNIQUE!