Monday, September 15, 2008

ALL HAIR THIS!

Back in the late 1960s, there was a semi-famous family group named the Cowsills, sort of Partridge Family wannabes, that hit it big with a song called “Hair.” (“….Give me a head with hair. Long, beautiful hair….”) I loved this song because, at the time, I had long, chestnut hair that was about my only claim to sex appeal. Other than those flowing locks, I was, and still am, rather nondescript. Plain Jane.


In order to achieve the glam straight-ish look to my hair, though, I had to roll it up in giant pink plastic rollers that were hell to sleep on, but back then I would willingly endure discomfort for beauty. Once I got married, though, the hair started to get shorter…and shorter. Good looks was no longer a priority. I had my man. Yeah, right. Short hair was easier to deal with than the long. I could just wash it and go.


Well, when I decided to retire, going on three years ago, I also decided to let my hair grow long again just to see if I could. But this time around, I’d be damned if I was ever going to sleep on can-sized pink rollers again. The results haven’t been too successful. My hair is naturally one big, wavy mess of fuzz. Most days I just end up putting it in a pony tail to keep it out of my face.


The other day I walked into a beauty shop and asked, “Anyone here just dying to work with long, thick, tangled, frizzy hair?” I want an inch or two trimmed and a hot iron used to straighten and tame my mop before going on vacation. (Now, I have my own hot iron, but I don’t have the patience or know-how to use it.)


A gal who wasn’t working at the shop this particular day was volunteered by the rest of the staff. When she sees me walk in on Saturday, well, I expect a pained expression on her face--at which point I will burst out into the Cowsill’s big hairy hit song and hope for the best. “….There ain’t no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my hair!”

3 comments:

Jaime said...

You did have some gorgeous, long locks! I'm sure the current state of you hair is nothing out of the norm for the salon ladies. Pretty sure, we all go in with that same, shameful, don't stare at my frizzy, mess-of-a-doo hair, mentality! GOOD LUCK! Have a great vacation!!

Sarah said...

WOW I love that picture of you and your long beautiful hair!! Long hair is more likely to get damaged, but the salon ladies soul know the ins and outs of taking good care of it. Have them teach you how to use your hot iron, I love mine, but like I said it will cause lots of damage over time.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture!! I haven't had short hair since I left home for college. Now my DIL cuts a few inches off twice a year. She also braids it. She is a pro at Celtic braiding and I love it when she does my brids up in nine strands and coils. In only go to the salon when I've been ill and can't wash it by myself. Alas, it all turned white when I was 32, but everyone still like it long. My weapon is a trendy clip--octopus at the moment. I did send a 15 inch hunk off to Locks of Love last winter and several of my friends are doing that now. If we whack off our hair, how will people know we are children of the sixties??