Wednesday, September 10, 2008

BACK OFF!


The neighbor across the street has recently chopped down a tree in his yard and has been cutting it up for fire wood. Big Bore says that word in the 'hood is: the man of the house got tired of his wife hitting the tree when she was backing the car out of the driveway, so he just decided to get rid of the problem....which I think is a noble solution.

You see, I, also, am a challenged "backer-outer" and the garage and car have the scars to prove it. BB keeps pleading at me to "use the side mirrors," but I have bad depth perception and don't trust them. No, I would rather crank my head around to the right, also causing me to crank the steering wheel to the right, and then weave out the driveway. Invariably, I have to stop and go forward to make a correction before I hit the wrought iron railing on the porch steps.

Mama Bore lets me drive her car, but usually not until she backs it out. I once took out one her yard ornaments...flattened a wooden tulip, and she hasn't trusted me since. Big Bore and she have compared horror stories, to which my smiling response was, "But you still love me!"

I can back out of parking spaces just fine, but there is something about a long, ominous driveway that just steers me in the wrong direction.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

LOL... That's funny! I have one of those long, ominous driveways, and I love to make Mr. S back out! He too, has some reversing issues. Although, he'd never admit it!

Sarah said...

I hate having to reverse for too long. Smart man to get rid of the tree to save some car repairs.

Nancy Evans said...

Yeah, Sarah, I thought his solution was better than chopping up his wife!

Anonymous said...

Boy, I suffer from this problem too! My husband drives a Murano (Nissan) and one of my gf's liked it so much she bought one and it has a backup camera and it is the best!!!! Shows you everything. I wrench my back out twisting around every time. I probably only drive once a month now as everyone takes me everywhere but I swear I am gonna hit something someday. I actually back into long driveways so then I can just swoosh out when I'm done. I actually put a circle into the Wisconsin house and the Ca. house to avoid having such a long backout. took a lot of kidding for that and everyone else then loved it!! We do try, don't we gals!!