Tuesday, September 16, 2008

CUT IT OUT

Last week Big Bore and I read about how gasoline-powered lawn mowers are bad for the environment. I can’t exactly remember the horrifying stats, but it was something like: mowing the lawn belches out as much crap as an SUV traveling 5,000 miles!!! So we dashed right over to Home Depot and bought a push mower...the kind we had “back in the old days” before lawn care became gasoline-generated.


We have the smallest yard in town, plus now that we’ve converted so much of our lawn into the patio and gardens, we have very little left to mow, so the human-powered mower made sense. In fact, we’d been contemplating getting an old-fashioned mower before we read the article last week. It does require more manpower, for sure, but I’m enjoying all the stares from passersby…and it’s not because I’m wearing a skimpy little mowing outfit like the one in the clip art above, which would likely result in a citizen’s arrest. (Don’t you love the chic mowing high heels?) I think people are just shocked that anyone would want to return to the Dark Ages method to cut the grass.


If I ever decide that this new purchase of an old idea is no longer feasible, I promise I will never go back to the air polluting gas-operated lawn mower. No way. I’m getting a goat!



6 comments:

dr. maureen said...

OOOHHH---i love goats! they are really cute and smart---and just think---you could use all that poop to fertilize your garden!!

i congratulate you on reducing your carbon footprint!!!

Unknown said...

You don't wear high heels to mow the lawn?? Whats wrong with you? LOL.

Mr. Powell teaches dreamweaver?? Interesting. Very interesting. Maybe I should go back to EJSHS and have him teach me 'cuz I think I'm lost!

Sarah said...

Good for you for trying to help mother earth. If you did have a goat who would pick up the doo. ;)

How did you do on the first week of weight loss???

Anonymous said...

Tara, check Amazon for a bunch of excellent tests on Dreamweaver. One is an hour a day tutorial that even teaches cascading sheets.

We had a push mower in New Jersey where use of power ones is limited. They are limited in use now in Ca. also. course the landscapers get a by on that and then that makes no sense. I think you'd be arrested in Ca. if you actually dared to mow your own lawn and me and my kids always do--the neighbors sneer. Here the landscapers do it but having grass at all is a pretty big crime also. Xeroscaping is the answer.

Jaime said...

I've thought of buying one of the old-fashioned mowers too! Save on gas, save the planet, burn a few pounds in the process, and it's low maintenance! Sounds like my type of machinery!

Unknown said...

Thanks Diva. I will def. check it out!