Wednesday, September 17, 2008

PACK RATS


Big Bore has today off work so we have started packing for the vacation to Colorado. T-minus 5 days and counting. He thinks we can get all our clothes in his duffle bag, but I’m insisting on taking my own suitcase. I’d rather have more than enough than not enough. One never knows what the weather is going to be like in the mountains, and I start shivering whenever the temperature “plunges” under 80 degrees.

“How big is it?”

“How big is what?”

“Your suitcase”

“You’ve seen it. It’s that one on rollers.” I know he is afraid there is not going to be enough room for the grocery store he plans to put in the car trunk.

As we started folding clothes into the bag/suitcase, we began challenging each other’s packing choices.

“Aren’t you taking any long underwear?” I asked. “You remember how cold it was at Bear Lake two years ago.”

“Sweats will be fine. I don’t turn into an iceberg at 70 degrees like some people. --You’re taking seven pairs of socks?” he quizzed me. “I don’t even own seven pairs of socks!”

“You do, too. --Don’t forget to pack a swim suit,” I suggested.

“What for?”

“The hot tub.”

“You think I’m going to wear anything in that hot tub?”

“Well, not really. But what if it’s a requirement?”

“A requirement for what?” he asked.

“To wear a swimsuit in the hot tub,” I said.

“You’re nuts.”

“I suppose so.”

“Are you taking all those shirts you have hanging on the closet door?” he asked, just a touch of shock in his tone of voice.

“Well, that’s what I’m choosing from,” I answered.

Something grumbly, mumbly came out of his mouth.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing,” he said.

“You said something. What was it?” I prodded.

“I know when to quit when I’m ahead,” he sighed and walked out of the room.

Big Bore is such a smart guy. This packing is going to be soooooo easy.

“Are you really taking seven pairs of socks?” he asked again later.

Never mind the easiness. T-minus 5 days, 1 headache, and counting.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Why do men do that? You would think they would know by now women need options. :) He is so funny.

Tell him hi for me.

dr. maureen said...

i suggest that you save space by only taking 1 toothbrush between you

Unknown said...

I always pack for hubby. Its easier on the mind body and soul! It has saved our marriage more than once.

Anonymous said...

You MUST have your own suitcase!! this is one thing I have learned the hard way.

Men are dirty creatures. My husband and son both frequently travel. Both can stay gone three days to eight weeks on the same amount of clothes. I ahdven't asked any details since my son explained to me how you turn undershorts inside out and wear them again. I have asked them both what they wash their socks out in the sink with. They both answered, "Nothing!" In China, the maid actually asks men for their undershorts and socks and wash them out for them each day--all for about a quarter!

Newsflash! colorado is not a third world country. Some of the pleasure of travelis having a fresh picked Pagosa Springs Canteloupe. Food is available at any super Walmart in the country. They even have food that is not available in Eureka! And yes, most public spas require bathing suits. My favorite B&B is a farm in Ft. Bragg, Ca. where they take you out to a big clawfoot bathtub on a hilltop (on a tractor) and pump hot water into a tank from the one the tractor is pulling and then leave, only to come back and pick you up 1.5 hours later. My favorite time is sunset over the Pacific. Even there they require swimsuits. You are gonna have fun, fun, fun!! Ca;t wait to read your BLOGS when you come back!

Jaime said...

LMAO. MEN! They just don't understand those things! Just wait... He'll be trying to squeeze his big, man feet into your little socks when he didn't pack enough =)