Monday, September 8, 2008

FACING THE UGH-LY TRUTH


The other day one of my blogging former students was pondering her pimples. I can certainly relate to that. I’d grown up thinking that zits were a malady only to be suffered during the teen years. You can imagine my shock when I turned 20 and the damned red bumps were still cropping up on my face. And then I turned 30, and 40, and 50.…woe is me. They never go away!

As I’ve gotten older, more and more skin problems have appeared. When I started jogging in my ‘30s, sweat-induced splotches developed on my back and chest. I can’t remember the name of these ugly marks, I think it was maybe tinea versicolor, but I still get them from time to time in the summer. The doctor said to treat them with Tinactin…a JOG ITCH and ATHLETE’S FOOT medication!! On my chest!

A few years back, when I was checking myself for evil moles, I discovered a new skin condition. “Doctor, what are these blobs on my back?”

“Oh, that’s just senile keratosis."

“But I’m not senile! ...Yet.”

“They’re found in older people. It’s usually caused by sun damage,” he explained.

Well, welcome to senility and curse me for hopelessly trying to get a tan when I was a teen-ager.

The latest skin condition I have is really embarrassing. I have little whiskers sprouting out from my chin! Now, I’m turning into a man! I’m constantly checking for them and as soon as I feel one I dash for the tweezers and pluck those suckers away. Before long, I’ll have hair flying out of my nose and ears. What’s next? Will I wake up one morning with a chest full of hair?

So, all you young bloggers out there should learn to embrace your pimples and be glad that’s all that is invading your skin. It could be worse. I’m telling you, your time is coming. The clock is ticking. Let’s face it…somewhere inside you a bump or splotch or stray hair is just hanging around, waiting to suddenly burst onto the scene, making its ugly appearance and putting both you and your mirror into a state of shock. I hope you will be ready to pick and choose your battles wisely.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I am soon to be 28 and I have had plenty of skin problems. You're a brave woman to share them with the world. I am starting to count on my second hand how many skin things I have had. Gotta love our biggest body organ. ;)

Jaime said...

Ditto to trials of the skin! I too, was sorely disappointed when I realized I wasn't leaving my zits with my high school alma mater! Also, I have the same disturbing chin hairs! Seriously! We're women! This isn't fair! My only comfort is that in my office of 12 women we've discussed it before, and several of them have this same ailment. I was also told to pluck & not wax or the growth would increase! However, I've heard otherwise too, so who knows...

Anonymous said...

My DIL is an ethetician. She waxes. The local beauty school charges $15 for a full facial, including wax and it is only necessary every three months they say.

Can you believe I don't have a one of these problems? It is true. But, I cannot believe the size of my ass!!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to float it off!! It is sort of working too.