Thursday, September 18, 2008

HOT DIGGETY DOG

Our vacation cat sitter came over to Casa de la Flaming Bore yesterday to meet the “kids” and learn the ropes. I gave them a stern "be on your best behavior" lecture before she arrived. “No pissy-hissy fits or barf attacks!! And, Muffin, remember that your poop goes in the litter box...not on the floor!” I didn't want to scare away our employee before she ever got started.

The cat caretaker is a teen-aged girl I know who lives a few blocks away. She is a nice kid, responsible, and, best of all, she loves cats! She has a few herself and she’s quite familiar with litter boxes. Bam! She’s qualified. The meeting went well. No fights, no bites, no upchucks at her feet. One less thing to worry about.

Today I will get the mail and newspaper cancelled for the week. The laundry is all done and the clothes are ready to go. Big Bore said he even found seven pairs of socks to take. Imagine that.

The food is another story. The package of hot dogs Big Bore bought on sale last week and popped in the freezer has mysteriously been broken into and four of the dogs are missing. Hmmm. Wonder how that happened. BB pled guilty, so he went to the grocery store to re-stock the dogs. He also came back with all sorts of crap (aka: snack crackers) I specifically said not to get since I’m trying to drop some poundage.

“I told you not to buy any Cheez-its,” I said, exasperated.

“But we might get hungry along the way and need a little snack,” he rationalized.

Open up a box of Cheez-Its in my presence and it’s empty within minutes. This will be a challenge. Especially since he bought two boxes. I’m even worse with Fritos. Some people have a sweet tooth…I have a salty one. BUT, and I’m putting this in writing for all the world to see…I will not eat a single cracker from those two boxes. And that’s a promise.

I plan to make my own little trip to the grocery store this afternoon to find my own little travel snacks. And you can bet your sweet calorie counter that this purchase won’t include crackers and a package of hot dogs!

4 comments:

Jaime said...

DANG! Talk about willpower! Be strong against the forces of Cheez-Its! Though they are a little pricier, the 100 calorie packs even have Cheez-Its. Which means, you could just as easily, measure out a half-cup from your own box to put in a ziplock bag if you're unable to withstand the temptation for a taste. However, this also is just a tease when you'll have the big, red box in the back seat staring at you & pulling you in with it's salty rays trying to penetrate your soul! Ok, maybe a little too much credit to the American snack cracker, but GOOD LUCK! You're a stronger woman, than I.

dr. maureen said...

nancy!!

it's vacation!!

live a little, have some fun.

life is too short to chew on rice cakes.

Sarah said...

I was just about to tell you about the 100 calorie packs too, but Jaime beat me to the punch. But it really is a good idea to measure them out in little bags that way you know how much you're eating. Take plenty of fruit and bottled water.
I love planning for trips.

Anonymous said...

If you are serious about losing weight, drop anything with gluten in it as if it is toxic--cause it is!!! Just eliminating one basic ingredient of junk makes you so much more descriminating. Colorado is not a third world country. Walmart will be there when you need it. Eureka is not the price busting capital of the world. How about declaring the car as a no-eat zone?? Setting in the car all day stoking up on salt results in swollen tummy, ankles and extra fluid poundage. Besides, you need some change, so why not try eating better than you would at home when you often eat out of boredom. Hot dogs? They last in a landfill for eons letalone your gut. Before you try eating less, try eating more of the good stuff. It works. Diet Diva?