Tuesday, September 2, 2008

GROWING UP

So far, Big Bore and I have three pumpkin babies that have started to grow. There have also been a number of failed attempts…fertilized mamas that just didn’t develop beyond a cherry-sized “pump-kid” and pooped out. We’ve had an invasion from squash beetles, so BB has waged chemical warfare against them. They are nasty little varmints that hide on the underside of the leaves. I squish those squiggly scalawags every chance I get.

We’ve found some pretty surprises that we didn’t plant that are now growing in the yard. There's some coleus scattered under the zebra grass, morning glory among the green beans, and a lone purple petunia in the pumpkin patch. All three are annuals, so we have no clue how they managed to pop up. We have other varieties/colors of the three elsewhere in the yard but nowhere near where these have bloomed. Nature’s little gift to us.










4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your garden and wish you lived closer so you could help me with my not so pretty attempt at one!!

I totally agree with your comment on my blog. It makes me a little scared thinking about it. She hasn't even been in politics for awhile. In 1988, she was a sportscaster. Thats a scary thought and solidified my vote, but I still want to hear her speak. Maybe it will be cheap entertainment!

Sarah said...

Oh your little pumpkin babies look so good! I can't wait till they turn orange!

Dusti said...

I love the surprises that pop up! It's always fun to see what volunteers itself every year! :-)

Anonymous said...

Got you a gardening gift today!! will pop it in a white envelope and mail it to you. You are gonna like it.