Friday, September 5, 2008

POLITICAL WISDOM


When Mama Bore called me last night, the conversation eventually turned to (blow your horn and toss the confetti) the Republican National Convention.

“Are you going to watch the Convention tonight?” she asked.

“Nah. I haven’t been watching any of it."

“Why not?"

"I finally know who I’m voting for and I’d rather go for a walk. I didn’t watch the Democrats, either. So, what do you think of McCain’s vice presidential choice?” (I love to dangle bait at her to get her riled.)

“I can’t stand her! I had five kids, too, and raised them all by myself and do you think that qualifies me to run the country?”

“Well, you did have to deal with conflicts and disaster.”

“And, (what’s more) she has this baby she’s dragging around to the convention hall and forcing it to have to be around all that noise. She just passes the poor little thing around. They need to leave it home with a babysitter! It’s child abuse!”

Now, Mama Bore has a point there. Subjecting a baby to all that hoopla can’t be any fun for those tender little ears. “Is the baby crying?”

“No, it doesn’t move. They say it has Down’s Syndrome, but that doesn’t make any difference. They shouldn’t be bringing that baby to that convention. I think she’s just doing it for sympathy.”

“Sympathy for what?”

“That she’s a mother!!”

“Well, you’re a mother of five. Don’t you sympathize with her?”

“Hell no! I wouldn’t have missed out on a minute of it.”

“So, who are you voting for?”

“You know I’m a Democrat. Who do you think I’m voting for?”

“Well, Obama had his daughters at the Democrat convention.”

“They aren’t babies. They were old enough. And don’t you just love his wife? Michelle. She is so pretty.”

“McCain’s wife is pretty, too.”

“He just married her for her money. I hear she’s loaded.”

(Sigh.) Will the first Tuesday in November ever get here?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Your mom is a hoot, I was laughing out loud before I finished reading. Too funny.

dr. maureen said...

I have to say I'm with your mom about the baby that does NOT need all that stimulation; special needs kids really need very predictable schedules---sleep, eat, play, cuddle with the same people, not the delegates from a different state every night.

and did you see McCain greeting the pregnant daughter and her boyfriend? McCain kept trying to shake the guy's hand and like a typical teenager he kept shrugging his shoulders, looking away and pretending he was in another universe. He'll be a great campaigner

Nancy Evans said...

m2---Oh, Mom had more to say about the teen pregnancy but I decided to keep my blog somewhat brief. I predict they will become the nation's poster kids for teen pregnancy. Mom agreed with you that the poor boy didn't seem too keen about being there.

Anonymous said...

FYI: Cindy McCain had a pre nup and Johnny doesn't get a dime of Daddy's beer money.

I thought exactly the same thing about Sarah Palin havin her son Trig at the convention. Noise and germs and general chaos--not good. I can't believe she is there herself four months after delivery!!

Can't we find some better candidates than either of these couples???? I don't want to hear about integrity from one of the Keating Five. I wonder if Obama's cocaine addition or Cindy's Percocet theft and habit are the best examples we can give our young people? And someone needs to tell Rudy and John it is strictly one woman at a time in most states other than Utah!!