Tuesday, January 5, 2010

BACK PORCH BLUES


You wouldn’t know by looking at it, but I spent a few hours this morning cleaning up the back porch at Casa de la Flaming Bore. It is not your standard little mudroom. No, this back porch is about 16’x8’ and it is home to three cat litter pans, a gazillion pairs of shoes, coats, umbrellas, loads of cleaning supplies, cat food and litter containers, recyclables, cat dishes of food and water, hats, a wandering jew plant that is abut 40 inches long, the ironing board, space heater, step ladder, the list goes on.

The most challenging part of keeping this room clean concerns the messes the cats make. In spite of heavy-duty, high-cut pans, the litter is still scattered everywhere, and cat fuzz permeates every space. Occasionally during the deep cleaning process this morning, I discovered “presents” the cats had hidden for me to find--I'll spare you the unpleasant details. “How can I get them to clean up after themselves?” I silently asked myself, in frustration.

Big Bore has been gently nagging me for quite some time about all my old running and walking shoes and flip-flops piled in one corner. I didn’t part with any of the flippers today, but there were lots of Nikes and Easy Spirits that were so holey and run down, literally, that I did pitch probably eight pairs. And I was still left with plenty more.

The really sad aspect of my hands-and-knees effort today is that the porch STILL looks like a train wreck. If it weren’t for the fine curtains that Mama Bore made for the room a few years back, I’d just close my eyes every time I pass through and save myself the agony.


2 comments:

Bishops' Blog said...

At least you have a room like that...you step right into our kitchen, so it is chicken, vegetables and shoes for dinner. Hang your coat on the dish drawer. Muddy boots? Uh, just throw them in the sink. :)

Sarah said...

yeah if I had a room like that it would look the same..i would say it looks great! My kitchen is our catch all too.