Thursday, January 7, 2010

BASKETBALL HANGOVER

Oh, Lord, did I ever wake up today feeling like a slug! Head pounding. Tinnitus clicking and clanging. Big Bore took one look at me and yelled, “Oh, no!!! It’s alive!!!!”

You see, last night the Jayhawks came so close to losing their basketball game that I became a total lunatic. Screaming, stomping, clapping, jumping up and down, swearing, you name it and I did it. I even pretended to be an abusive cheerleader coach and pounded an index finger into BB’s chest during a time-out. “I wanna hear some noise outta you, boy!!!” And, in the end, the Hawks have ME to thank because they came from behind and won the game.

But, today I’m worn out. Dragging. After the game was over and sweet victory was ours, BB removed his earplugs, scooted off to bed, and was asleep in a matter of minutes. I removed my earplugs and channel surfed on the TV until close to 2 AM., still too keyed up. Then, the wind awakened me a few hours later. I was happy to get five more hours of sleep. But, my vicious internal alarm clock found me greeting the day scowling. Hummpppffff!

Tonight we’re watching the Rose Bowl football game for the national championship between Texas and Alabama. Neither of us give a flying flip who wins. No earplugs are needed. I haven’t muttered a single comment about what's going on, and the only jumping up I’ve done is to go to the bathroom. I should sleep like a baby tonight.

2 comments:

dr. maureen said...

and here i thought it was MY cursing and body English that won the game for the J-hawks!!! guess they should be grateful to both of us!!

Nancy Evans said...

Oh, M, together we are one force with which to be reckoned. I don't know about Scott, but I know jeff would not have been able to tolerate being in the same room as the two of us Wednesday night. He would have thrown up his hands and made a fast exit. You and I could have given him a Rock Chalk chant and waved good-bye.