Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A BUM DEAL

Big Bore thinks Howie Mandell should re-name his TV game show--from “Deal or No Deal” to “Greed or No Greed.” Or “How Stupid Can I Be?”

I was telling him about this contestant, a sweet gal in the swine business, who turned down over $200,000.00 to keep playing. She had two chances to win a million bucks and one chance at $400,000.00, so she apparently thought the odds were with her. So did her husband and father and best friend who kept egging her on. “No deal!!”

Of course, she also had five other amounts on the board, ranging from $10,000.00 all the way down to one cent. Well, guess what she ended up with? The penny!!! Poor swine lady. She went from her pig farmer rags, to riches, and back to pig farmer rags in less than an hour. Had I been in her pathetic shoes, I think I would have suffered a royal $hit fit right there on camera, or at least committed a serious felony against the so-called “support group” from home that I’d brought with me.

I wondered what I would have done with that 200 thou offer. I would like to think I’d taken the deal and gone home a moderately wealthy, happy person. Quit while I’m ahead, you know? But I’m not so sure I wouldn’t have been swept away by the excitement of the game and kept going for the million---almost five times the offer--exceedingly wealthy by the standards of my poor ol’ pocket book.

With Big Bore, though, there is no thinking about it. “Take the money!!!” He prides himself on being like Mr. Spock on “Star Trek”--logical. If it was enough to purchase a new pick-up truck, he’d take it in a heartbeat and be satisfied. Millionaire be damned. “Live long and prosper.”

--A penny for your thoughts, piggish lady. How stupid could you be?

1 comment:

Dusti said...

I always feel SO bad for the ones who are just so SURE they're gonna win big, and then don't. I would be very Spock-like myself, absolutely. I could never turn down $200,000! Nope, couldn't do it!