Thursday, February 18, 2010

GROWLING BACK

An epiphany came to Big Bore and me yesterday when we were taking an afternoon stroll about the neighborhood--being harassed by a couple of yappy mutts violating the town leash law, which happens ALL the time around here. When it comes to dogs, I seem to attract trouble. I think they must smell the cat fuzz on me.

“I wish you had your camera with you so you could take a picture and report this problem to the police,” BB said.

“Ooooh! I like that idea. I can keep a notebook and pen in my camera bag and write down the time and location of the picture. I’ll become an official Wayward Dog Patrol Person.”

As the barkers got closer to us, he picked up a rock. “They’ll usually back off if you bend down and pick up something and pretend that you’re going to toss it at them.”

The dogs kept coming. So much for scientific theories. We weren’t attacked by them, but it still ticks me off that owners are so irresponsible. I’ve lost track of the times I’ve been bitten and chased by dogs in this town--sometimes with the owners standing right in their yards yelling at me, “He won’t bite!” Yeah, right. Maybe he won’t bite you, but I look like lunch!

So, I’m going to follow up with BB’s stellar idea and start walking with my camera patrol bag. I might even get a special shirt made up that says, “Beware of Mad Woman.” I can’t wait to get started. In fact, I’m foaming at the mouth.

No comments: