Sunday, February 14, 2010

LOVE IS IN THE AIR


The Flaming Bore has never had big expectations on Valentine's Day. I've never received or really wanted a box of chocolates. Cut flowers never seem to last very long. The jewelry I would like to have is never within the budgets of the men who've been my significant others over the years. Just give me a sweet card with a message from the heart and I'm happy. So, with that in mind, last night as we were settling down to watch TV, Big Bore had an "Oh, My Gosh" moment that sounded like this:

"Oh, my gosh! Did you buy me a Valentine card for tomorrow?"

"Yes. Why?"

"I'll be back!"

He rushed out the door and returned about 15 minutes later, relieved that he'd found something appropriate to keep himself out of the doghouse for today. His endearing sentimentality is linked to self preservation.

When the late author Erich Segal wrote the words, "Love is never having to say you're sorry," he should have added, "because you remembered to get your sweetheart a card for Valentine's Day."

Here's to love and lots of it.





No comments: