Thursday, November 10, 2011

BRACING MYSELF

Periodically I go into jags when I want to make bracelets. I'm sort of a bracelet-a-holic, if the truth be known. There. I admit it.

When we were in Colorado last month, a nice saleslady threw in a complimentary bracelet with a clothing purchase--and I was immediately smitten. Hmmmm. I need to find some shell beads like these and make my own. And as soon as I got within smelling distance of a craft shop when we got back home, I scoped out similar looking beads, grabbed some stretchy thread, and prepared to string myself some masterpieces.

Except there was one small problem. A really small problem, actually. For some reason, the beads had extra tiny holes in them and the stretchy thread was too big to pass through. What's a bracelet-making gal gonna do? Make the holes bigger, of course. And, believe me, it hasn't been easy. Short of using dynamite, I've tried just about every kind of "boring tool" I can find in my junk drawer--needles, a mini screwdriver, paper clips, and a seam ripper--to ream out the @#!*! holes. And, of course, sometimes--no, make that often--I've slipped and said tools have jammed into my skin since I'm stupid and don't wear iron-clad gloves during the procedure.

So far, I've managed to make six bracelets, but I'd venture to say that each has taken at least an hour and a 1/2 pint of blood to fashion. Hopefully, by the time I finish, I'll have an arm left to wear them.

No comments: