Sunday, November 6, 2011

WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN' GOIN' ON

Late last night after we suffered through the ending of the K-State-OSU football game, Big Bore asked, "Did you just feel the house shaking?"

"Yeah, I did."

"The plants were shaking, too," he added.

"Must have been some aftershock from the earthquake they had down in Oklahoma this morning. I'll get on the computer and check."

I decided to check Facebook before any news website, because everyone knows that if you want to know what's happening in the world, check your social network. Right? And, immediately, there was a post from my neighbor two blocks down: "Hey, I just felt my house shake!" And similar comments quickly came in from friends in other cities and nearby states. Seems there was a 5.6 earthquake in central Oklahoma, following up the one that morning.

Now, I don't want to sound all alarmist and make my readers think that we just survived a close call. Frankly, our house shakes more when the washing machine is running through its spin cycle. In fact, it shook more last night when I was doing ridiculous K-State cheers in the living room during the football game. Still, it was an earthquake nonetheless, and, as singer Carole King would say, "I feel the earth...move...under my feet."

We were over a hundred miles from the epicenter and, frankly, that's about as close as I care to get.

No comments: