Tuesday, May 20, 2008

LUCKY MONEY


In the past 26+ years I have jogged a lot, but now I mostly walk a lot. Back surgery and gall bladder surgery have taken their toll on my mediocre running skills, but that's okay. This is not a blog about exercise. This is a blog about money.

Around twenty years ago, I began to notice loose change along my jogging paths about town. These discoveries occurred so often that I finally decided to quit passing by the money or picking it up just to spend it later. I decided to save Lucky Money. I call it this because I'm hoping a little angel drops it from heaven rather than some poor schmuck with a hole in his pockets.

Once a year I get out the coin wrappers and take an inventory of what I've collected so far. Today is that day. Drum roll, please:

Pennies-1,300

Nickels-120

Dimes-251

Quarters-139

Dollar Bills-2

Grand total: $79.85 (more or less?)

This is not counting a Canadian penny or a slot machine slug from Aladdin's Castle.

I know this amount is not exactly enough to break the bank, but thrills come cheaply where I live. If you are interested in making a slow buck, like the Flaming Bore here, I hope you'll keep your nose to the ground while jogging or walking or biking and look for your own Lucky Money...BUT watch out for traffic. Unlucky money is not allowed!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, that just shows you how quick money saved can add up. I need to bend over and pick up those pennys. ;)

Nancy Evans said...

I made off with four dimes and a nickel during tonight's walk!