Monday, May 26, 2008

SHAKE, RATTLE, AND ROLL

Attending my great niece's dance recital over the weekend got me to thinking about the one and only time I took dance lessons--two years ago. My friend the Hippie Goddess persuaded me to join her in taking Intro to Belly Dancing 101 at a retirement home in Eskridge. It sounded intriguing, so my bulging belly and I signed up for about six weeks of basic training.

I wasn't good at it. I could get the hip and foot part okay, but when I tried to add the hand/arm motions, I was sunk. Try as I might, I couldn't coordinate my top half with my bottom half. I looked like a tortured dancing worm. When it got to the point that I could no longer bear to watch myself practicing in front of the full-length mirror at home, I decided it was time to wave the white flag and give it up. No recitals for me, although I did enjoy wearing my royal blue, velvet hip scarf and shaking all the attached booty coins. I still take it out of the closet from time to time to look at it.

I've now decided that clogging lessons would be more to my liking. There is only one position for the arms and hands--hanging at the sides, not moving. I can do that. Cloggers just appear to hop, stomp and skip. I think I can do that, too, although maybe not all at once and maybe not at warp speed, but it's possible. I also have the hair for clogging, so that's a plus, too. Now, if I can just find a pair of size 10 tap shoes and a clog teacher, I'll be set.

I'm leaving the harem behind and headed to Riverdance. See you under the lights!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

A dancing worm, now that is how I would look. ;)
I like the free style dancing. Turn the music up and just let those arms and legs fly. Not in public of course.